Key Passage: “...You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.” Psalm 23:5 NIV
When we allow God to shepherd us, he is more than enough.
REVIEW: Anointing is when our lives are marked and set apart by the goodness of God and the power of his Spirit.
- READ: Proverbs 11:25 “The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.”
- DISCUSS: How have you seen God’s goodness and power evidenced in your life, or in someone else’s life?
REVIEW: The anointing protects us from temptations.
- READ: Philippians 4:8-9 “And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.”
- DISCUSS: What helps you overcome temptation when it presents itself? What current struggles need more anointing?
REVIEW: The anointing protects us in conflicts.
- READ: Ephesians 4:2-3 “Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love. Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace.”
- DISCUSS: Do you feel like your cup is empty, or full? How is that affecting the way you relate to people?
REVIEW: The anointing is produced by pressure.
- READ: James 1:2-4 “Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.”
- DISCUSS: What current situation might God be working in to produce greater anointing on your life?
What else did you get out of the sermon this week? What actions or next steps can you take to apply it to your life?
Pray for a greater anointing of the Holy Spirit, fresh protection over our hearts, and deep joy and endurance through God’s process.